Monday 9 April 2012

Fish Fingers

Pin It Now!

I love non-traditional nail colours like blues and greens. I also like nail polishes with quirky names, so I immediately homed in on OPIs "I Have a Herring Problem". Plus pickled herring is a national food in Denmark, so it ticks all my boxes. I picked up this mini on Ebay for £3.00 because I wanted to try it out before committing to a full size bottle.
 
Little bottle, so cute and tiny in my hand!

I Have a Herring Problem (IHAHP) is a very grey denim blue with silver and gold micro-glitter. The gold glitter is more evident in direct (sun)light. Formula is good, as you would expect with OPI, and it dries to a shiny but not glossy finish. I used 2 coats on top of my current base coat (L'Oreal Resist and Shine). 

Indoors it looks more grey than blue.


Overall I love this polish and love how it looked, but at the time I felt something was missing. A true actual herring (the fish) has a bit of a pinky sheen to it as well as gold and silver. So, I decided to add a little something to make it more herring-like.


I added one coat of 2true Glossywear Shade No. 2 for extra sparkle. It is a silver glitter topcoat that also contains pink flashing/shimmering white micro-glitter. It's really hard to capture the pink on camera, but this is one coat on top of IHAHP. Check out the images in full size, it's a bit easier to see.

I quite like the effect, and maybe should have stopped there, but...I just wanted to stamp something on them.


Gold and silver fish scales with Monster Bundle plate BM215 and Barry M foil effects in Gold and Silver! These polishes are really great for stamping, much better than the old polishes I had (Rimmel Your Majesty I'm looking at you). I wholeheartedly recommend them. I was lucky and got them on sale for just £2.50 at ASOS. Barry M foil effects are available at Superdrug for £3.99 here.



I wanted to try out both gold (index + middle finger) and silver scales (ring + little finger)

What do you think of my fish scale nails? Next time I might just do the scales on an accent nail.












Pin It Now!

1 comment:

  1. This looks great! I love IHAHP and the fish scales look fab. :)

    ReplyDelete